Thank you Common

Sunday, January 20

Dear Common,

I am a 31-year-old white guy who grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago. I just want to thank you for writing your memoir because it has given me a perspective on the south side of Chicago that I have always longed to understand. As you describe in the book, Chicago is a very segregated city. My home town is 95% white, but we are 5 minutes from Robbins and Harvey, which are 95% black. There was a lot of fear from the white people toward black people when I was growing up, and I recognized that fear and mistrust from the time I was small.

A few stories... My Irish grandfather lived at 82nd and Ashland in Chicago. He had a black friend through his work as a custodian in a Chicago high school in the 1960's. Every time this black friend came by my grandpa's house around 82nd and Ashland avenue, the man had to wear a tool belt so my grandpa's neighbors would think he was working. He didn't feel safe and my grandpa probably didn't feel safe having a friendship that crossed racial boundaries. I also remember when I was kid, a few black men were doing repairs on our house. A neighbor actually called my mom to ask her if she knew black men were around the house! And I remember a neighbor worrying that there were too many black people in the Jewel. Chicago may not be as bad as South Africa apartheid, but Chicago segregation is serious and real.

I moved to California in part because I feel like Chicago will always be a city haunted by its race relations. I just want to say thank you for writing this book because I always felt like the south side is divided and it has allowed me to see another side that I long to see. The racism is still there, sadly. I truly hope that black kids and white kids and Latino kids and Asian kids can grow up together in peace and share friendship one day. Keep doing what you're doing!

Replies to This Posting

1. There is nothing to display yet, check back soon.